The Final Post - Five Years in Saudi

Celebrating National Day 2019 in KSA. 
I used to love writing this Saudi blog. It kept me sane putting down all my thoughts about a country so complex and multi-layered that it would take a lifetime to really understand it. Then, suddenly, I got paranoid that my honesty could be used against me during some particularly testing times at work. Within hours I’d taken down all the ESL advice pages and most of the blog posts - while my Saudi Season wasn’t over, the blog almost was. Although I promised quarterly updates, I didn’t deliver a single post last year. Instead, I continued to focus on my new family travel blog www.rafsworld.com and our family Instagram page.

So, if anyone is still following this blog ...... yes, I’m still alive and well in Saudi Arabia. Savings continue to mount up - English housing dreams have turned into Philippine development dreams; as a result of Siargao Island’s surging popularity it seems more sensible to develop our plot there rather than put all our savings into the UK’s super expensive market.

Our Siargao home is rising in value.  
And final exit from the Kingdom? As I’ve always said, that remains in God’s hands. It is God, after all, who has sustained me for five years in Saudi (one year in Sakakah and four years in the small city where I currently reside near the Kuwaiti border). I’m convinced late next year, autumn 2020, will see me pack my bags up to return to a Philippine life on Siargao Island. Of course events might get in the way. Whatever happens, this is my final post ever on saudi-season.blogspot.com.

It’s been a pleasure to share snippets of my Saudi experience! Thanks so much for reading. Goodbye!

Comments

  1. I've been a long time (silent) follower of your blog Mart. It was really interesting to peak into your life and thoughts and share your ups and downs vicariously with every new blog post.

    I wish you all the best, and though I'm really sad to see that this blog will no longer be around, I'm rooting for you and am sure you'll find other ways to keep yourself occupied for the remainder of your stint in Saudi.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading the blog across the years. It just seems life has turned into a bit of a Groundhog Day in the past two years, with little new to report or write about; perhaps indicating that it’s nearly time for me to leave the Kingdom to work on new projects and dreams. Don’t forget to follow my ongoing life either on my new travel blog or via real time updates on Instagram. :)

      Delete
  2. Saudi Arabia is such an wonderful place to live. Very glad to read your post. Thanks for sharing with us:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts