14 Days

After such a lengthy second season in Saudi, it's very difficult to believe that I'm now just 14 days away from final exit. Of course, my family and I can't take anything for granted given the volatility of travel protocols across the world and, in particular, in the Philippines. Indeed, two days ago, the Filipinos spotted a Pinoy traveller from Saudi positive with the Delta variant, but they haven't introduced any new flight bans yet. Overall, things are looking quite positive right now with a stable epidemiological situation across the Philippine Islands (5000-6000 "cases" per day) and a spat between the Cebu mayor and the Philippine President seemingly resolved. Cebu Airport has just reopened and our Emirates flight booked for July 7 should be a go if nothing unpredictable happens in the next two weeks.  

Despite the general sense of optimism in the air, I've already been deprived of a glorious final exit. It's mostly my own fault since I've spent many spare moments in the classroom checking CNN Philippines for any news that might spell trouble. This is definitely not the laid back exit I had dreamed about for so long, but the pandemic has deprived us all of the peace we desperately want. I guess the only upside is when I finally reach Siargao Island, I'll appreciate everything all the more. Perhaps my first surf will feel even better than the first time. Perhaps! 



While I can feel the Philippines coming back into view, I'm not quite there yet. After a couple of volatile weeks in the classroom and endless sandstorms, I'm finally free of any teaching responsibilities and calm weather has returned. Unbelievably, tomorrow is my last day of work for many years ahead. Indeed, I can't ever imagine teaching in Saudi Arabia again, especially with the implementation of mandatory vaccination for entering teaching institutions starting on August 1st. Unlike most people, I won't agree to an emergency, experimental vaccine until the trial is over in 2023 and more data is available. Anyway, as requested by HR, I got all my clearance signatures two weeks ago, so I'm hoping I'll receive a text today or tomorrow confirming transfer of my June salary and end of service bonus. Of course, there might be a short delay, so that's why I booked my final exit from KSA on the 7th. 

So how will I spend my last two weeks? Alongside checking CNN, praying for a smooth exit, training in the pool, selling my furniture, transferring money into US dollars and making the most of Khafji's beaches and restaurants, my days will be consumed by a simple countdown: 14 days to go until the Philippine dream becomes my new reality. 14 days until the countdown ends and living begins. 14 days between us and the Philippines. Can anything stop us now?  

Comments

Popular Posts