The Balkans in Fast Forward: Sarajevo to Lake Bled

Nothing much happened in our lives between arriving back from Tunisia to departing to our second destination of 2025: Sarajevo. This time, my family and I returned to the most convenient airport for us here in Norfolk - Stansted - to catch an unbelievably cheap £20 one-way flight with Ryanair to the Bosnian Capital. 

I hadn’t thought much about this trip until it was almost upon us, which meant quite a lot of our choices were spontaneous. 

In Sarajevo, we spent the morning checking out two museums and the afternoon taking a cable car to a snow capped mountain top and walking down an abandoned toboggan track. Whatever we didn’t see, didn’t matter. Onwards to Mostar on an incredible train track through the mountains to a town built around a stunning bridge for a one-night stay. Two vegetarian meals (for me at least) at Foodhaus were the highlight. Then into a private taxi to Dubrovnik, via a stunning waterfall, where we stayed for two nights in the heart of the old town. It was beautifully uncrowded and we topped off our time there with a breakfast buffet at the five-star Hilton before jumping on a bus to Split. 

Split was an unexpected delight - lovely wide streets and plenty to see - for a one nighter. My wife Miras got to join in some street Zumba dancing and we hit the five-star Radisson buffet for a breakfast to remember. The next day, a meandering train ride got us to Zagreb just in time to get caught in a hostel lift, where we had to shout for several minutes in order to get rescued. After a few hours sleep, we climbed aboard the last train of the trip to Lake Bled. More amazing scenery on the way and a perfect two-night stay in an Airbnb above the lake. 

By the time we flew home to London, it almost felt like we needed a holiday to recover from this one. It had been fast-paced and a lot of travelling, but definitely worth it for the countless memories we’d made together. 



Comments

  1. Hi Mart! Glad to see some new posts on the blog and glad to see you traveling more these days!

    Would you be interested in a return to the kingdom by chance? I know someone recruiting for roles in Riyadh. Let me know how I can get in touch with you to give you more details and get your CV to forward to said individual.

    P.S. I'm a long time reader of the blog, and not a spammer, lol.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! More travel posts coming very soon! I am interested in returning to KSA but I don't think now is quite the right time. I'll send over my CV anyway and see what opportunities there are around these days :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Mart, adding my email here so you can reach out directly for the Riyadh opportunity, that may be easier: elfadil.ibrahim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this! I'll send over my CV just in case :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Deliverance: The Great Escape from Saudi Arabia

Miraculously Reunited in KSA for the Last Time

Jubail Staycation