Qatar Wanderings



A pattern had begun to emerge. Whenever things were getting worse in the UK, I booked a solo escape to somewhere that reminded me of the expansive, limitless, good life I used to lead in Saudi and elsewhere. Yes, that was the main reason I had booked a fairly last-minute trip to Qatar. It would take me back to a lifestyle where everything felt good: warm evenings, incredible food and that unbeatable Arab vibe.

So, what were my Qatar wanderings like? Well, from the minute I landed in Doha, I just felt so at home. I arrived in the late morning, but the relentless 38-degree heat didn't bother me at all under my rather huge hat. The ease of the metro astounded me. It was so fast, easy and efficient. I reached the souq district and found a classic resto to enjoy a multi-plate Arab breakfast — so tasty and incredibly photogenic. Then, en route to my hotel, I got a quick haircut for £4 from a super-friendly Bangladeshi guy and wondered why the same cut in the UK costs a ridiculous £17. Surveying the horizon from my high-rise hotel made me feel so happy to be back in the Gulf. I had two exciting days ahead...



Over the days that followed, I did it all. From hitting the desert and trying sandboarding again, doing my best not to hurt my now-frozen shoulder, to exploring museums, quaint housing and shopping districts, and hitting the Doha Beach Club, everything slotted perfectly into place. I could even get fresh carrot juice for a fraction of the cost of somewhere like London and, in my now post-Gerson days, I got tempted by chicken kabsa in a Syrian restaurant in the heart of the souq. But, more than anything else, it was my final Friday brunch treat at the Doha Four Seasons Hotel that really blew me away. Opulent interiors, live music and some truly magnificent food offerings allowed me to forget about all the mounting challenges and just revel in the moment.

Qatar was the perfect place to rekindle my love for the Middle East. Of course, it brought back into focus what might be the eternal question of this blog: will I resume my life in the Gulf one day? Will there be another season in Saudi? When might that be?

Exploring Doha didn't answer those questions, but it definitely made an eventual return to the Gulf far more likely. I had adored every minute. The shoulder was still painful, swimming was tough and the problems waiting for me back in the UK hadn't disappeared. But for those few days, they didn't seem to matter quite so much. I wasn't overthinking. I wasn't catastrophising. I just felt good.

And perhaps that was what I had really travelled to Qatar for.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Deliverance

Miraculously Reunited in KSA for the Last Time

Jubail Staycation